A Love Affair With Color
Hey there fellow strange birds! Ya’ll, putting together this mood board gave me so much life! This one’s for you lovelies never afraid to show a little leg, and hella serious about rocking a killer heel. It’s also perfectly suited for an elopement, micro-wedding, or super-slick-secret-nighttime-vibe nuptial. Want your wedding to make it plain how beautiful pinks, teals, and purples look reflecting off your skin? Then this colorful wedding dreaming is being hand delivered, (well, cyber delivered), just for you!
A Colorful Wedding Needs a Dope Inspo Pic
All of my mood boards start with an inspiration pic, and this one is everything! First off, @simplyshannah is always so fly. She is owning every inch of this frame, and her fearless mix of print and color is aspirational. I love that she’s sitting on a concrete divider and rocking the hell outta that hat. The mix of feminine, masculine, and street is so expertly displayed, there’s no way I couldn’t build a colorful wedding around it. Also, props to @mama.photog for taking such a bad ass photo.
The Mood Board
All the Things You Need to Know…
The Bride and Groom Fit
This dress is so beautiful! It’s a combination of some of my favorite things, a long sleeve, a short hemline, and a flattering silhouette meaning I can eat all I want with no worries. This stunner is just a hint of the unbelievable fashions created by Ese Azenabor. If you aren’t aware of this designer, you’re missing out. Azenabor creates some of the most uniquely beautiful clothing I’ve ever seen. You would shut it down in this Sequin Floral Mini Tunic Dress, and at only $750, keep a few bills in your pocket at the same time.
To stand next to you in this beauty, a standard black tux won’t cut it! We’re talking about some colorful wedding dreaming here, and your love’s fit is no place for this theme to fall short! Plus, speaking of designers who should be on your list, Atafo is not one you want to miss. Based in Africa, he creates the suits of my dreams, (pun kind of intended). This midnight velvet tuxedo is so lux, it’s a perfect compliment to Azenabor’s genius mini. Bonus for you, it’d be super soft to cuddle up to all night long. Lastly ya’ll, this is bespoke – meaning everything is custom. You can contact Atafo directly to get pricing for this beauty.
Did somebody say something about a dope heel? I may never fully relinquish my tomboy tendencies but there’s something special about the way a well-crafted shoe can turn me into one sexy lady! Hopefully, if you’ve hung with me this far, I’ve put you on to some new designers, and you should definitely be adding Amina Abdul Jillil to that list. When it comes to a luxury wedding shoe, we know the Jimmy Cho’s, the Louboutin’s, and the Prada’s, but it’s important for me to support the black dollar whenever possible. Luckily, Amina makes that so easy when she’s making shoes this beautiful! The $355 price point also fits really nicely into a wedding budget.
That said, as much as I love a good high heel, when my dogs start barking I need a comfy shoe to change into. For a wedding that shoe should keep your outfit cute, and these vegan leather wedding trainers from Laury Bride are cute enough to do just that. Real talk, if a high heel ain’t your thing, rocking these sneaks for the ceremony would more than work. Either way, they’re you’re guarantee that nothing will stop you from dancing the night away.
The Finishing Details
Sometimes it’s the details that are the most fun to pull together. I know I can’t be the only way who feels that way, so I won’t keep you in suspense any longer!
- Bridesmaid Fit: It’s usually a joke when a bride says she picked something her bridesmaids can wear again. But in this case, your ladies would be thanking you for setting them up right! This matching top and pants from Andrea Iyamah are so beautiful together. And will be just as clutch in your ladies wardrobe’s after the wedding. Full disclosure – currently only the top is available on the website, (priced at $201). But here’s a tip that’s a good one to keep in your pocket for damn near all the fashion on this blog. See something you like but it’s out of stock/out of budget/or in some other way out of reach? Find yourself a local seamstress and put them to work! The good thing is because nothing here will look explicitly bridal, you won’t be up-charged for the work, and yet still walk away with exactly what you wanted.
- Yes, flowers are beautiful and can add lushness to an event, but if you spend any time with me you’ll know my allergies are real! Because of that I’m always thinking of ways to get that same feeling, without sneezing, blowing my nose, and wiping my running eyes for the whole of the day. For this colorful wedding dreaming theme, the answer is faux blooms. LolaWhiteShop on Etsy uses some of the most beautiful combinations of colors, and isn’t afraid of being bold in putting them together.
- This cake ya’ll! A wedding like this calls for a cake that stands on its own, and this one wouldn’t even need a topper to make a statement. @CakeLaurenLoves did her thing with this amazing display of artistry. Even better, it’s all buttercream, so it’ll taste as good as it looks.
- A French manicure for a wedding is classic, but why, when you can do so much more! These gold-tipped nails from @thenailboxxchi are so on point, and are the perfect compliment to this wedding look.
- I always wanted a mohawk as a kid, shaved sides and all, which is probably why I’m forever drawn to them as a hairstyle. But this one showcased on @slaymskaye‘s Instagram elevates it to the perfect bridal level. Plus I’m in love with the slight bit of gray that can be seen highlighting each looping swirl. A Black2Wed bride would be just as fearless in rocking her gray with no shame!
Everything about this venue is so slick! If you’ve read The Anti-Bride’s Answer to Wedding Planning, then you know I’m a sucker for a small wedding. If it were me walking down the aisle, Rendezvous in Fredericksburg VA would be the venue at the top of my list! This unique space is a bridal boutique for @avalaurennebride by day, and can transition to the event spot of your dreams by night. This set up shown on @tulleandtinseldc‘s Instagram page is perfection just as it is.
Leave a Reply